Marilyn M. Jones & Associates logo

Call Today: (219) 879-4077

Serving All of Indiana

Frequently Asked Questions on Court Reporting

When looking for a reporter, what should I look for to ensure I am getting a quality product?

You should be looking for and using reporters that have one or more of the following credentials behind their name. RPR, Registered Professional Reporter; CSR, Certified Shorthand Reporter. There are other credentials that designate higher accomplishments in the field of reporting; i.e., RMR, Registered Merit Reporter, among others.

Why do I recommend using credentialed reporters? Because you are guaranteed that that reporter has had the basic reporting training, not only in the area of physically "writing" the proceedings on the stenograph machine, but also in the area of deposition/courtroom procedure.

Longevity is also a good marker that the reporter will be able to give you a quality product.

> Back to Top

Do you take credit cards?

Yes, we accept VISA, MasterCard, DISCOVER and American Express.

> Back to Top

I want to send my son or daughter to reporting school; what do you recommend?

Recognizing that there is a HIGH* rate of attrition in the study of reporting, learning the stenograph machine, and gaining the writing speed required for graduation, I always recommend that the chosen educational program or institution have the ability to transfer college credits. In fact, I always recommend that a student find an institution that is going to give a quality education in the basics so that if the student finds they just can’t do the reporting aspect (they then become an attrition number), not all has been lost and they can transfer into another educational program so they may earn a college degree. Waste not, want not.

*It is my recommendation that any parent or student wishing to attend reporting school should specifically ask to see that institution’s attrition numbers before signing any document or commitment.

> Back to Top

What are the reporting requirements in Indiana?

This question is best answered by contacting the Indiana Shorthand Reporters Association, as they should be able to help you with this particular question. Contact the Indiana Shorthand Reporters Association.

> Back to Top

Does Indiana have anti-contracting legislation?

Yes, Indiana does have anti-contracting legislation.
For further information, please click here to visit the Indiana Shorthand Reporters Association’s website.

> Back to Top

Appellate Court Case — Re: Who owes the reporter?

Refer to: Jones vs. Boesch. This is a small claims case filed by Jones against Boesch. Jones was awarded a judgment against Boesch. In the case of Boesch vs. Jones, Appellate Court, Boesch appealed and put forth the argument that his client owed Jones the money, not the attorney. Appellate Court didn’t see it that way. It is now clear in Indiana that when an attorney contacts a reporter to do work, the attorney owes the reporter the fees; unless, of course, other arrangements for payment have been made BEFORE the work commences.

> Back to Top

Associations & Honors

Indiana Court Reporters Association logo

Indiana Shorthand Reporters Association

Michigan Court Reporters Association logo

Michigan Court Reporters Association

National Court Reporters Association logo

National Court Reporters Association

Site Map

Contact Us

Marilyn M. Jones

Marilyn M. Jones & Associates

1416 Franklin Street
Michigan City, IN 46360
Telephone: (219) 879-4077
View Our Location

Our Disclaimer

The information contained in this web site is intended to convey general information. It should not be construed as advice or opinion.

We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create a professional relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an professional relationship has been established.